If you land an interview for an administrative assistant position at your dream company, you'll want to spend plenty of time preparing for the big day. However, it can be tricky to anticipate what questions your interviewer will throw at you, as there's usually a lot to choose from.
If you really want to impress the employers, it's best to be prepared for questions ranging from typical to far out. Here are eight common questions that may be asked at an administrative assistant interview.
1. How would you describe your work style and how do you feel about working in a team?
When you're answering these types of questions, it's often tempting to tell employers what you think they want to hear. However, it's best to just be honest about your work style and explain how you're working to overcome any shortcomings you may have.
2. How do you show initiative on the job?
If you're faced with this question, try to give specific anecdotes as opposed to generic answers. Explain in detail how you went above and beyond at your last job or internship.
3. What have you done in the last year to develop your knowledge for this profession?
Have you earned any certifications? Learned any new software programs? Here's your time to brag about your professional accomplishments.
4. What's an example of a difficult person or situation you faced? How did you solve it?
If you don't have a lot of previous work experience, you may not have a suitable anecdote for this type of question. When in doubt, you can always use an example from school, an extracurricular or even a sports team if need be.
5. What was the corporate culture at your last job? Describe your ideal working environment.
You can breathe a sigh of relief, as there's no right or wrong answer to this question. The interviewer is likely just trying to get a sense of whether you'll fit into the workplace. Explain the different environments you've worked in and what you prefer, but note that you're open to a more casual or formal culture, depending on where you work.
6. What's the most interesting project you've worked on and why?
This question gives you a chance to explain what you're really passionate about and potentially how you want to advance your career.
7. How do you handle deadlines when reporting to multiple people?
Meeting deadlines and juggling multiple tasks at once are essential skills when you're an administrative assistant, so be prepared with a solid answer to this question and examples to back up your claims.
8. Why do you want to work for us?
It doesn't matter what position you're applying for or what industry it's in - this question is always fair game. Do your homework and figure out why the company is a perfect match for your skill set and career goals.